One of the worst-kept secrets in pop has been confirmed: Sir Paul McCartney will headline Glastonbury in 2020.
The former Beatle will top the bill on the Pyramid Stage on Saturday 27 June, a week after his 78th birthday.
He last played the Somerset event in 2004, and organisers have long been keen to get him back for an encore.
Next year will be Glastonbury’s golden jubilee and co-organiser Emily Eavis said: “There really was no-one that we wanted more for the 50th anniversary.”
Earlier on Monday, the star teased the announcement on Twitter – posting a picture of Philip Glass, Emma Stone and Chuck Berry.
Emily Eavis subsequently confirmed the news, saying: “Having Paul McCartney coming back to headline the Pyramid for the second time next year is an absolute dream come true.”
In April, her father, festival founder Michael Eavis, admitted he had the star in his sights, but asked a BBC reporter not to “make a big thing of it”.
In September, Sir Paul told BBC Radio 2 the booking “was starting to become [a] remote kind of possibility”.
He told breakfast host Zoe Ball: “My kids are saying,…